WIU provides access to quality education for refugees and host communities by extending access to quality reading and learning materials. This directly contributes to SDG4, “Quality education to ensure inclusive and equitable education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all.”
This is done through;
- Providing children in ECD and Primary schools with up-to-date supplementary and fiction books to promote reading among pupils.
- Providing secondary schools with up-to-date top-up supplementary subject books and revision guides.
- Equipping ECD and primary school teachers to use books and incorporate regular reading in ECD centers and primary schools.
- Equip secondary school teachers to manage books, promote reading and studying, and effectively support students in exam preparation.
The model targets learners who may be struggling with reading or lack access to quality education.
The primary goal of “Literacy Competency Model” is to enhance children’s reading abilities by focusing on four key components:
- Reading Assessments: The program begins by assessing the reading skills of each child to identify their specific strengths and areas for improvement. This helps educators and volunteers tailor instruction to individual needs.
- Teacher Training and Support: WIU provides training and ongoing support to teachers and volunteers to enhance their instructional techniques and strategies. This includes providing them with the necessary resources, lesson plans, and Continuous Professional Development (CPD) to improve their ability to teach reading effectively.
- Community Engagement: WIU recognizes the importance of involving parents, caregivers, and the broader community in promoting literacy. We encourage community members to support reading activities, we establish and equip libraries, and create reading-friendly environments both at home and in schools.
- Child centered: WIU utilizes interactive and child-centered approaches to engage children in reading. It includes activities such as storytelling, reading circles, book clubs, and access to age-appropriate reading materials. This creates an enjoyable and positive reading experience, fostering a lifelong love for reading and learning.